PPL and PSE&G assigned baseline project with PJM id’s:
- PPL b0487 and b0487.1
- PSE&G b0489 and b0489.1 through b0489.9
- Build a new 500 kV transmission line Susquehanna – Lackawanna – Hopatcong – Roseland.
- In PA, upgrade of seven 230kV and one 500kV substations as well as one new 500kV substation with 500/230 kV transformation at Lackawanna
- In NJ, upgrade a 230kV and install two 500kV substations one with 500/230kV transformation at Roseland.
Need: Based on the PJM analysis of 2012, the Susquehanna – Roseland project is required to resolve reliability criteria violations starting June 1, 2012
- The National Park Service (NPS) issued a Record of Decision (ROD) on October 2,2012 and a Special Use (Construction) Permit on December 12, 2012.
- PSE&G obtained written approval of the Project from NJ BPU on April 2010; a NJDEP Wetland and Flood Hazard Area Permits was issued on October 4, 2012.
- PPL obtained written approval of the project from PA PUC on February 12, 2010.
- On July 11, 2011, the Commonwealth Court issued an opinion affirming the Pennsylvania PUC's order that approved the siting and construction of the Pennsylvania portion of the Susquehanna-Roseland 500 kV transmission line. In affirming the Commission's order, the Court rejected the Energy Conservation Council's challenge to the need for the line and the Office of Consumer Advocate's challenge to beginning any construction of the line before all federal and state approvals have been obtained.
- PJM required in service: June 1, 2012.
- PPL - the Susquehanna to Lackawanna portion of the Project is currently expected to be in-service by December 2014. The remainder (Lackawanna to Hopatcong 500kV circuit) is anticipated to be in-service by May 2015.
- PSE&G - the Roseland to Hopatcong portion of the Project is currently expected to be in-service by June 2014. The remainder of the Project is anticipated to be in-service by June 2015.
- PA all of the additional right of way required for the project has been secured
- PSE&G NJ minor additional right of way has been completed
Engineering / Design:
- Overhead Transmission Design: PPL 99% complete, PSE&G 97% complete
- Substation Design PPL 95% complete, PSE&G 95% complete
Equipment Procurement / Delivery:
- Material contracts awarded through the fourth quarter of 2013: PPL 99%, PSE&G 100%
- Additional material contracts scheduled to be awarded in the first quarter of 2014: PPL 1%, PSE&G 0%
- Material contracts delivered through the fourth quarter of 2013: PPL 85%, PSE&G 100%
- PPL overhead construction contractor working in 4 of 4 segments and work on Access Road construction, existing Tower Demolition, foundation installation and new structure erection continues.
- PPL started substation construction for new 500KV substation at Lackawanna in second quarter of 2013. Remaining 230kV substation upgrades have started and will be completed by first quarter of 2015.
- PPL installed capacitor banks at Monroe substation (230kV cap bank) and at Blooming Grove substation (69kV cap bank) to support the 230kV line outage from Bushkill to Kittatinny starting November 1, 2013. Banks will remain in service through the outage, concluding on February 28, 2014.
- PSE&G 230kV inside plant upgrade work at the Roseland substation complete. 500kV GIS testing and commissioning continues at both Hopatcong and Roseland. Overhead construction contractors have completed work on access roads. Foundation installation is 85% complete, tower demolition is 70% complete, tower erection is 67% complete and conductor installation is 64% complete.
- PSE&G has submitted required outages from Roseland to Kittatinny.
- edart 383779 (Montville to Roseland E-2205) 09.29.2013 – 01.31.2014 (complete)
- edart 402888 (Lake Illif – Newton N-2214) 12.29.2013 – 02.28.2014 (complete)
- edart 384036 (Kittatiny – Newton T-2298) 03.01.2014 – 05.31.2014
- edart 476763 (Ramapo – Branchburg 5018) 02.07.2014 - 02.23.2014 (complete)
- edart 552540 (Hopatcong – Roseland 5061) 03.31.2014
- All future PPL outages are being evaluated by PJM. PPL has submitted:
- edart 470083 (Peckville – Blooming Grove 230kV line) 03.01.2013 – 10.31.2013 (complete)
- edart 490134 (Blooming Grove – Bushkill 230kV line) 07.01.2014 – 05.31.2015,
- edart 490127 (Bushkill – Kittatinny 230kV line) 11.01.2013 – 02.28.2014 (complete)
- edart 510174 (Peckville – Blooming Grove 230kV line) 03.01.2014 – 06.30.2014
- edart 543993 (Blooming Grove – Bushkill) 03.01/2014 – 03.02.2014
- edart 513883 (Sus230 – Stanton #2 230kV line) 09.08.2014 – 09.29.2014